DAY 2 Saturday, November 16, 2019 Havana
- Happy 500th Havana!
- Visit Old Havana and learn about Havana’s world-renowned UNESCO heritage designated architecture on an expertly guided walking tour (2 hrs)
There is no better introduction to Havana than a walk through Old Havana, where the streets are full of life – vendors, musicians, performance artists are everywhere. On this walk you will explore Old Havana’s five major plazas and see the interiors of cathedrals and other important buildings. UNESCO designated Old Havana as a world heritage site in 1982. Although today Havana is a sprawling metropolis of more than two million people, the old center retains an interesting mix of Baroque and neoclassical monuments, beautiful balconies and courtyards.
- Visit the Taller de La Gráfica lithograph collective
Located in the heart of the old city, Taller de La Gráfica de la Habana is one of Havana’s most revered artistic attractions, featuring lithograph artists who create and sell their own experimental work on site. Visitors learn about the collective’s equipment and techniques from the artists themselves and can purchase art directly from the Taller.
- Lunch at El del Frente paladar (a staff and client favorite, try the daiquiris!)
- Experience a tour of the newly renovated and stunning Grand Theater of Havana
Named after Cuba’s most beloved ballerina, this gorgeous theater is the headquarters of the National Ballet and also features musicals, plays, and opera.
- Havana 500 years celebration: Activities TBD
- Nighttime suggestion: Enjoy a Buena Vista Social Club style-show at Café Taberna
On the corner of Plaza Vieja stands Cafe La Taberna, the city’s oldest music venue. Founded in 1772, hundreds of Cuba’s musical greats have passed through its doors, though it is most famously associated with mambo king Benny More. Soak in its history when you stop by for a traditional Cuban music show, offered every night at 9PM. Entrance fee includes three cocktails.